Monday, August 15, 2011

no vehicle days!!!


This past few weeks, I have had to embrace, for the second time in two years, not having my dear old jeep to run around in. I have finally had to deal with getting a new engine head...if that is the right terminology. Getting the part to St. Kitts and getting the jeep fixed is taking way longer than I anticipated. I live a very busy life, with children to get to daycare and camp, plus for me to get to work at any of my normal selling spots, I need to get from point A to point B with as little down time as possible. As a result of not having a vehicle, I have once again had to learn patience, one of my lesser virtues, I think! My friends have been extremely helpful. I have had to joy of driving in some very nice vehicles, which my friends have the privilege of owning....I am almost tempted to sink into debt again to get one of these, but, I am staying on track.....my goal is to own my own house very soon, NOT to drive the nicest vehicle...at least not right now!

Early on, one of my good friends, whom I called upon, drove me wherever I wanted to go.....I didn't take advantage of his good nature, but instead tried my best to compact my getting around so as not to disturb him too much....but after a week he got tired....he explained that he didn't think I was going to be without a vehicle for so long and he really was tired given the tough year he had had thus far. I thanked him for his honesty. I decided that I would try not to call on the same friend to help me twice, but I have had to change that decision at crucial times. Honestly, I am really blessed to have such good friends who would drop whatever they are doing to assist me.

To get around without disturbing anyone of my buddies, I take the bus. I have come to realize that there are some really 'nice' bus drivers who run the route past my house. They are also not as rough and tough....many times when I am transported to my destination, with my containers of pottery, which take up space, they tell me to give them whatever I want....lol! How can I give them whatever I want....shouldn't they have a set price for offering this service, I ask, each time I get the same reply...pay me what you want. I can't understand it, so I pay them what I think is reasonable, thank them and go on with my day! My decision to take the girls to the movies on Sunday afternoon, even though I had not a clue how we were getting there was another notable experience.....I stepped out of my yard with girls in tow, a bus stopped immediately and I brazenly said, I am going to the movies, can you take me there? He answered positively and the girls and I jumped in. He travelled his normal route then went the extra distance to the movie theater. When we got there I asked what I owed him....he said $5.00....which is a normal fare for 2 persons on a normal day....I awkwardly asked if he was sure...he said yes and his friend in the seat said "Is love we ah deal with sister!"...I smiled and went on my way with my babies. After movies we got a lift home with a couple....both former close neighbors and friends of mine.

I am very adept at hitching rides from people, a skill I learnt as a teenager growing up in Dominica, during a time when people were nicer. Today, it's not as easy and I am not as willing, at my age to give the hitching a ride sign, so I walk along or stand in hope that some friend or 'nice' person will come along and offer me a lift. The other day, in a rush to get to my daughter's preschool center, the only person to stop was a guy I know well enough, who was riding a motorbike!!! Oh, what utter excitement, at minutes to 4 o'clock on a busy Friday afternoon to alight upon a bike....he dismounted the bike, gave me his passenger helmet. I jumped on and off we went along the Newtown Bay road, up to the Industrial site Preschool. What an adrenaline rush!!!! I picked up my daughter, just a I exited the center I got a lift with another guy straight back to the craft market....my co-vendors at the market were amazed at the speed and time it took me to go and return...I did a little chest thumping!

I feel thankful and grateful that I am able to easily make changes in how I operate....that I have a good enough personality to assist me on my journey and most of all I have friends who care enough to assist me. I have been given an opportunity to reconnect with many of my friends.....some who would see me walking and go out of their way to drop me home...during the drive we would get to chat. It has been an experience to listen to the banter of the persons riding the buses.....or the music the bus drivers play....it is interesting to be a part off! My patience has grown and I am humbled by these experiences. I long for my vehicle but I realize I have become much more organized because of the lack of it! There are lessons to be learnt in all things, and for now, I am learning some valuable lessons while embracing this experience.

2 comments:

  1. The island needs a better bus system. It's that simple. If you live southeast of Basseterre, you're screwed. Businesses already saddled with higher taxes and enhanced security costs, also have to pay for transportation to get their employees to the work place. This is stupid and easily fixed (in a way that employs people, no less). Plus the buses that do run, don't actually stop for people! Unless you throw yourself in front, they go flying down the roads at warp speed as if they're afraid you're going to make them stop. Meanwhile, they're 1/2 empty. In Grenada, they have an extra person always looking out for anyone who might even have the slightest inkling they might want a ride. They pack those vans as full as they can. I'll bet even with the extra person to pay, the drivers in Grenada make more money than these rushed Kittitian speed demons. Slow down and actually consider picking up a fare. They can always establish an "express" and "local" version if time is an issue for some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get that point! If there was a reliable service getting people wherever they need to go, would most definitely relieve the need to depend on others for a lift! And you are right about Grenada, except that one late night, stranded after 9pm in Grenada's capital city(for the life of me I can't remember the name right now), we had to pay a taxi EC$60.00.... to get us to St. David's!

    ReplyDelete